Pages

Tuesday 24 September 2019

Treasure book by Te Raiana


 The day it happened, how I almost died as a child, I might never forget that fatal day. It was dark and gloomy day. As war was fought around the country. It was just a matter of time before our village was next. I was a child laying in my bed. I didn't know when the bombs were dropped but all I knew was that my father was distressed and worried. He got me up told me to pack what I can and get ready for a long walk. My dad called into his study he handed me a book and said keep it safe. I did what he said, once I was done we went outside to find that village had been almost non-existence. We saw that our library was gone, buildings were falling and shattered into pieces. My father was talking to others that had made it. I overheard one of them say that my mum was nowhere to be found. My dad broke down into tears. A few hours later we ended up leaving the village with other survivors. We walked and when it was cold we huddled together to keep warm and slept in ditches and holes. Me and my father slept in an old moldy shed. My dad was coughing, I was worried about him. I asked him if he was fine, he said that he's very sick and doesn't have much time left. I hug my father and held his hand until I feel asleep. The next day I discover that my dad had died in his sleep. I was dead inside, distraught, upset, my feelings were leaving my body and all that it left behind was sadness. We prepared a burial for my father and some of the villagers said some moving things. I remember one which was he is with our holy savior in heaven now. The box that my father had given I was holding onto. The other villagers said to leave it but instead I left my suitcase. The other villagers and I carry on. We arrive at another village. My arms aching from carrying the box. I find an old linden tree. I dig a hole and I bury the box under the tree so it would be safe. We stay there for a few nights then we carry on with our journey. I couple years, I'm 30 years old and I always think about my dad and the treasure I buried. I think about the treasure every minute of every day. I thought that I should go back to get the treasure. I traveled back to the old village where I buried the treasure. When I arrived at the village it looked brand new and amazing. I went to the old linden tree and there was a small cottage surrounding it. There was a little girl playing around the tree. I told the girl that there was buried treasure under the tree. She helped me dig up the treasure. I showed what the treasure was and she said "oh it's just a dumb book". I said that this book is a book of our people and it is rarer than rubies, more splendid than silver and greater than gold. I showed her some pages from the book. After a while I had to make my way home. I said goodbye and gave her some lollies. She said bye and thanks. When I said I have to go home, I mean I was going home aka my place of birth. I traveled the lands passing old memories and I passed a very important memory. That important memory was my father's grave. I sat next to the grave and paid my respects. I read my father some pages from the book, told him some events that happened while I was gone. After all of that I had to say my goodbyes. Told him that I love him then continued with our journey. I arrived back at my place of birth and a saw new buildings with color, a new library. I was amazed how it looked. I had an idea in the back of my head. I took the book to the library and I placed it on a bookshelf. As I walked away I noticed a little boy grabbed the book from the shelf and it puts a smile on my face. After all that I traveled home and became a history teacher and told my students where I came from and what happened. I taught there for generations and students loved to hear the story of my beginning. I hope to stay a teacher until the day I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment